Internship & Volunteer Opportunities with Rhythmix
Rhythmix Cultural Works (RCW) is an emerging entertainment venue for world music, jazz and visual arts classes and performances in the East Bay.
We welcome motivated and enthusiastic people who enjoy helping others, working with exceptional artists and performers, and contributing to the vitality and ongoing development of this unique community arts space in Alameda.
Our interns are passionate about the arts and experience a lively work environment that taps into the pulse of the local arts community. RCW’s Interns gain essential hands-on work experience, make valuable contacts, and will learn about non-profit management of an arts organization. Internship positions are unpaid, but RCW is willing to oversee the internship for academic credit. Please check with your school to confirm internship experience meets your school’s academic standards, Internships are available in the following areas:
Media Marketing Internship
Rhythmix Cultural Works is looking for social media marketing interns that are driven, organized people who will take some initiative in our non-profit community arts environment. Interns will develop skills in grassroots social media marketing, SEO, google analytics, and help develop creative marketing strategies. Interns will gain experience in strategic marketing, planning and execution of cultural arts events and visual art exhibitions as well as develop a greater understanding of the inner workings of non-profit management. RCW is looking to market and brand the organization via social media as well as through traditional media outlets. Interns will work directly with the Executive Director and Operations Manager to help strategize and execute media outreach across a variety of different platforms.
Candidates should have regular access to email, a working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Google documents, Google Analytics, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, YouTube, etc and/or be open to learning. Professional phone and people skills, a passion for the arts and creative problem solving a big plus.
Rhythmix event/program interns learn valuable skills in arts administration through “hands on” experience. They play a pivotal role in and out of the RCW office, assisting with all aspects of event management, administration and logistical support. This position is active and varied. Its duties range from working events, managing the calendar, attendance at staff meetings, to correspondence with donors, management of databases and demographic surveys, as well as everyday office tasks. Depending upon the applicants’ interest, the event program intern also has the opportunity to accrue skills in grant writing, technical skills, and to gain a fundamental understanding of the general ebb and flow of a non-profit community arts space.
Candidates should have basic computer knowledge (including MS Word and Excel), excellent phone and people skills, and the ability to manage multiple tasks while working independently as well as enthusiasm for working with a diverse public.
RCW’s outreach intern works closely with our Operations manager to execute all aspects of promotion and publicity. This position is ideal for communication students wishing to learn skills in self-production, promotions and community outreach. This position is a crash-course in how to promote a working art space and the productions within. RCW believes in creative outreach strategies that engage new audience for its productions. The outreach intern will utilize social media and networking sites, blogging and traditional publicity routes to get the word out about everything that is happening at Rhythmix. They follow activities and events from their inception to the actual performance, helping to shape how we communicate art, music and creativity to pique interest. They play a pivotal role in all planning processes and production meetings, and duties include online publicity, procuring donations, sponsorships, documentation of audience members and artists during performances of events, and general office and database upkeep. This internship offers the opportunity to learn the ins and outs of social media, engage in the creative process, and practice professional marketing, outreach, publicity and SEO strategies.
Candidates should have regular access to email, a working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Google documents, Facebook, and Twitter, excellent and professional phone and people skills, plus a passions for the arts and creative problem solving!
Video Production Internship:
Rhythmix is seeking a highly motivated intern interested in learning about audio and video production for online marketing, fundraising and event promotion. In addition to capturing live events, the intern will have the opportunity to help develop a digital media campaign to help brand RCW’s facility. Ideally, intern(s) should have previous audio-video production experience either through internship or relevant college coursework. This internship is most appropriate for Digital Media, Film and Video students or someone looking to further develop those skills. The internship is specifically suited for students interested in gaining hands-on audio and video production experience in support of online marketing and fundraising efforts.
- Recording audio and video (Must have your own video camera)
- Editing and crafting compelling content and stories
- Photographing events with high definition cameras and DSLRs
- Screening/logging/transcribing/editing multimedia footage
- Providing post-production support
- Brainstorming and assisting in the creation of online video initiatives
- Researching trends in multimedia content development and integration
- Knowledge and experience with various digital video camera, lighting and sound techniques
- Ability to work efficiently and creatively to produce high quality video products in a fast-paced, often live environment
- Proficient in video and audio editing software: i.e. Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Audacity, etc.
- Experience shooting and editing high-definition video for the web
- Familiarity with posting multimedia content to online platforms (YouTube, Vimeo, iTunes, blogs, etc.)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Passion for the arts and global cultures
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
Ideal candidates are computer savvy and have a passion for cultural arts, world music and non-profit management. They possess strong verbal and written communication skills. Interns should be self-motivated, able to work independently, open to new challenges and innovating creative solutions. In addition, strong candidates should be outgoing, responsible, organized and have experience with social media. Upper-class undergraduate students or graduate students with a background in business, communications and/or marketing are preferred.
Please also include the following information in your cover letter:
1.Why do you want an internship with a non-profit?
2. Do you have a particular marketing focus that interests you?
3. What would you like to get out of an Internship?
4. How much time do you have to dedicate to your internship?
Volunteer Opportunities include:
- FlickR fans: We have a lot of photos that need to be uploaded and organized
- Database Management (Familiarity with FileMaker Pro desired, but not required)
- Event promotion: PR, Social media mavens needed for online community cultivation
- Postering/Postcard distribution around East Bay - if you can walk you can dance!
- Event Staffing - we often need help with the door, setup, concessions & cleanup, especially for our monthly bingo fundraiser extravaganzas!
- Marketing & Community Outreach - friendly outgoing folks needed to help promote RCW @ street fairs, farmer markets, etc.
- Fundraising ideas - we are open to any and all suggestions.
If any of the above activities sound like they might be of interest, we can also offer a work exchange opportunities. We're running mean and lean and have a lot of great events coming up, so any assistance at all would be greatly appreciated. For more info please CONTACT US and let us know what you can do! Please Note: these are unpaid internships.